Sunday, October 10, 2004

They grow so fast...

We took Gavin to the doctor on Friday to see how things were going. This was after Marci took him to a lab for a PKU (a series of tests run to see if an infant has any of 9 different genetic diseases - at least that's how many they test for in Arizona).

I don't do the PKU test - they have to prick the baby's heel to get a blood smear. I can't handle seeing the little dude pricked like that. I went for Caleb's test and it was really hard for me to watch. So I opted out of this one. I'm not squeamish about the blood - I'm more affected by the baby freaking out.

Anyway, at the doctor's office we discovered that Gavin is already at 8 lbs. 4 oz. When we left the hospital a week and a half ago he was at 7 lbs. 4 oz.

Dude gained a pound in a little over 1 week. Pig.

He's doing quite well at this point. He's a pretty calm baby for the most part, but he's had some problems with gas. It happens on average every other night. Last night for example I only got about 2 hours of sleep, and Marci probably only got 1 hour. It was not a good night. It's so sad for Gavin - he's obviously in pain, but you know that he just doesn't understand what the problem is; and it's just no fun listening to the little guy cry (heck - it's no fun listening to any infant cry - it's just so sad!).

Most of the rest of the time he stays on a 3 hour schedule - awake most of the day and sleeping between feedings at night.

He's still the cutest baby around. And Marci and I aren't in the slightest bit biased at all.

No comments: